A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Wednesday 4 August 2010

magpie

The Magpie is one of my favourite moths. I saw quite a few when on holiday in Scotland but they are less than annual in my garden and I have been hoping to photograph one ever since I got my current camera (several years ago now). Last night, I didn't have my trap on but I was pleased when a magpie turned up on the outside of our conservatory. This species is similar to the small magpie Eurrhypara hortulata which is a Pyralid (micro), but several sizes larger. I'll post photos of both for comparison. I also found a largish micro at about the same size.
small magpie

magpie moth

Agriphila tristella

No comments:

Post a Comment