A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Sunday 22 August 2010

Caught on the Antlers of a dilemma

On the 17th August, I had a fantastic night in the garden. The variety was the best for some time with 89 moths of 33 species. These included one year tick, one overdue garden tick and a further brand new species to me, as well as a potential second. The most stunning was an Antler Moth, a species that perhaps wandered from the heathland. The new garden species was two Yellow Shell - long overdue. But, better than that was a possible Hoary Footman. I personally cannot rule out a worn Scarce, so I would like your opinions.
.
17th August:
13 Dunbar
9 Shuttle-shaped Dart
8 LBBYU
7 Common Rustic sp.
6 Large Yellow Underwing
6 Copper Underwing
4 Vine's Rustic
4 Brimstone
3 Riband Wave
3 Svensson's Copper Underwing
3 Willow Beauty
2 Double-striped Pug
2 Yellow Shell NFG
1 Flame Shoulder
1 Small Rivulet
1 Maiden's Blush
1 Silver Y
1 Iron Prominent
1 Small Fan-footed Wave
1 Currant Pug
1 Common Carpet
1 Red Twin-spot Carpet
1 Yellow-barred Brindle
1 Turnip
1 Lesser Swallow Prominent
1 Cloaked Minor
1 Cabbage Moth
1 Pine Carpet NFY
1 Scalloped Oak
1 Antler Moth NFG
1 poss Hoary Footman NFG
.
Pine Carpet
Antler Moth
Hoary Footman?
View of underwing (I had to put my finger on it for it to unfurl its wings)
Yellow Shell

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sean,

    You've certainly got a contender there. I had one that looked exactly like that, with very little orange colour to the rim but lost the bloody thing. I'd suggest getting it onto BirdForum and consulting the CR.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit worried about the intentensity of the orange on the 'neck'. The ones I've had have been very 'washed out' overall.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete