A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Saturday 31 March 2012

A Lunar eclipse...

We're obviously past the peak emergence of Small Quaker, so catch numbers are likely to reasonably low for a little while now. Well, until the Brindled Pugs peak! A decent variety last night though, in what was forecast as the last of the hot days (for a while). I got a few year ticks, including a reasonble scarcity in my garden, a Lunar Marbled Brown.
.
3oth Mar:
25 Small Quaker
10 Common Quaker
4 Hebrew Character
4 Brindled Pug
3 Clouded Drab
3 Twin-spot Quaker
1 Oak Beauty
1 Early Grey
1 Double-striped Pug NFY
1 Early Thorn NFY
1 Lunar Marbled Brown NFY
.
Lunar Marbled Brown
.
Not at all related to last nights trapping, but I took a walk on a heathland near me yesterday, in the hope of getting my first good view of an Orange Underwing. After a bit of frustration, one came low enough to net. I'm glad I have added it to my moth photography list (despite it not being a particularly good shot)!
.
Orange Underwing

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I had a Lunar Marbled last week too, but have failed miserably to net an Orange Underwing.

    ReplyDelete