A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Friday 24 August 2012

The Tower of Rustic Neglect / + big news

In conjunction with the Surrey Wildlife Trusts volunteer do at the Semaphore Tower at Chatley Heath, I joined Paul Wheeler for some mothing on the edge of the heathland there.  It was rather nice having a barbacue, cider and wine to keep us going (although pangs of guilt for not being a volunteer meant I just had the one half-pint of cider!).   The conditions weren't brilliant, but I still came away with the nice macro lifer of Neglected Rustic, although its lucky it showed its hindwings, as we may have otherwise overlooked it as a Lesser Yellow Underwing!  Some nice micros included Agriphila latistria, Swarmmadamia caesiella, and Mirificarma mulinella (just like the Rustic, these were as dull as anything, but new ones to me!).  I did not take any notes so I don't have the full list, but the only other moths worthy of any mention were a Mocha, lots of White-line Darts, and the heathland gelechid Aristotelia ericinella.


Neglected Rustic
 

In other news, I have recently found out that I have to move house.  This is a bit of a pain, as I feel I was just getting to know the lepifauna of my Haslemere garden!  In just over three years there I've built up a macro list of 275, and a micro list (which I've only just started) of 105.  On the plus side, the house I am moving to near Aldershot at the end of September is a blank canvas, and I can't wait to get going there.  The Ash Ranges are close-by, and the Basingstoke Canal passes the bottom of the garden, so I hope to get some nice wetland species.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the move!
    Abit like me, I have just moved to North Herts and have a lovely little garden which is already proving quite good for moths.
    Thus my blog remains under Essex Moths, otherwise I would lose all my google hits! therefore Herts and Essex Moths stuck, like you I still travel over the border.
    ps. well done on the Neglected Rustic :)
    Regards
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Ben.

    I've just realised that the garden is in fact in Surrey, so no need to start a new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news Sean, would have been a huge loss for the blog!

    Good luck in the new house, hope it all goes smoothly.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete