A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Friday 20 May 2011

Odonata more interesting than moths lately!

I've not been doing much mothing in the last week or two... which is a pity as people seem to be getting some interesting catches (a friend in Nutfield caught a splendid brocade!). But I've managed to photograph a few. The female common swift seemed to be a slightly unusual colour. bilunana was a new species for me. And I was quite chuffed when a downy emerald decided to perch on our trellis in almost exactly the same spot as last year's brilliant emerald. I think I'm up to c19 species of Odonata in the garden now. Today I found an enormous exuvia on a rush - it can only have come from an emerging emperor dragonfly as it was almost two inches long. I finally managed to catch a pic of a speckled yellow - a diurnal, fast-moving species that I first tried (unsuccessfully) to photo about five years ago. Pity it's rather faded - or is it a dull female?

Teleiodes luculella

Nemapogon cloacella (cork moth)

common swift

Epinotia bilunana

downy emerald

speckled yellow

middle-barred minor

No comments:

Post a Comment