A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Saturday 26 February 2011

Not sloe but early

I've been thinking for some time that I must get out with a torch at night and look at our local blackthorn (sloe) bushes to see if I can find an early moth. The early moth is said to be common but it hasn't shown in my trap - until now! I was just turning my trap off at bed-time when a small Geometrid fluttered around my feet. I potted it and immediately wondered if it was an early. But I wasn't 100% sure as sloe carpet (which I've had a few times) is quite similar. On close inspection I was able to be certain it was early. a) the antennae were pectinate and b) there was a clear dark blotch on the centre of the hind-wings. The pattern and shape are also meant to be distinctive but that's not always easy to judge on a worn moth without a sloe carpet for comparison. The early is in fact quite similar in shape to a winter moth.


I also had a few other new for year moths, including an Agonopterix-type which I'm not sure of. I also had a twenty-plume moth indoors. So my year list is slowly building up. I always feel I'm making progress when my moth list passes my bird list for the year - but some way to go yet! A few photos below:


Agonopterix alstromeriana


satellite



early moth


Twin-spotted quaker (compare with Billy's three below)


Tortricodes alternella

No comments:

Post a Comment