A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Saturday 3 November 2012

Moths and the weather

Moths, I have concluded, don't mind torrential rain and howling winds.  However, drop the temperature a bit and you don't see them for dust!

During the dreadful weather on Wednesday night last week I trapped five Red-Green Carpets, five Yellow-line Quaker, a Feathered Thorn and a December Moth.  Thursday was a glorious day and relatively warm so I had high hopes but the temperature dropped dramatically in the evening and only one brave December Moth showed itself.

I have also now changed trap.  I was using a Skinner but a couple of months ago my partner and I had a go at making our own Robinson-type trap which I am now using - works a treat!


Robinson Trap


No comments:

Post a Comment